What are Valheim Mods?
A mod (short for “modification”) is an alteration by players or fans of a video game that changes one or more aspects of a video game, such as how it looks or behaves. Mods may range from small changes and tweaks to complete overhauls and can extend the replay value and interest of the game. In this case, will be looking at how to install valheim mods on a server.
Over time, modded version of games has become so popular that the original version of the game is often referred to as plain vanilla this is most common with Minecraft.
Popular sites in which you can find mods include Nexus Mods.
How to install Valheim Mods on a gaming server
Running your game on our Valheim game server and want to spice things up with mods? Then we have you covered Below I have detailed how to install mods on XgamingServer panel.
Installing Mods to Valheim using BepInExPack for Valheim
BepInEx is a general purpose framework for Unity modding. BepInEx includes tools and libraries to
- load custom code (hereafter plugins) into the game on launch;
- patch in-game methods, classes and even entire assemblies without touching original game files;
- configure plugins and log game to desired outputs like console or file;
- manage plugin dependencies.
BepInExPack for Valheim contents
This pack is preconfigured and usable for Valheim modding.
In particular, the changes from base BepInEx releases are:
- Added preconfigured
BepInEx.cfgwith console enabled.
- Added unstripped Unity + Mono BCL DLLs for current versions of the game. See this issue comment for more info.
- Updated Doorstop configuration and BepInEx to allow to load unstripped DLLs without having to overwrite game DLLs.
- Added scripts necessary to run both game and dedicated server on Linux machines
Installation for BeInExPack for Valheim Dedicated Server
To install BeInExPack the following
1. Login to your game panel.
After you place an order for your game server you’ll be sent login details to your server control panel.
2. Navigate to File Manager
On your game panel, navigate to File Manager tab, here you’ll see the game files.
3. Extract the archive into a folder.
Extract the archive into a folder. Do not extract into the game folder.
4. Upload Contents
Upload the contents of
BepInExPack_Valheim folder into
You could also use the one-click BepInEx Mod installer on the game panel.
Our game panel has a one click installer for BepInEx as shown below
Download the Mods and Upload to the Valheim Server
Now that you have install BeInExPack download your Mods and upload the mod files to
Edit the Startup config file
For your server to use the mods you have to edit the start up config file on the root folder
Copy the following lines of code and make sure to edit the necessary server name password and port
#!/bin/sh # BepInEx-specific settings # NOTE: Do not edit unless you know what you are doing! #### export DOORSTOP_ENABLE=TRUE export DOORSTOP_INVOKE_DLL_PATH=./BepInEx/core/BepInEx.Preloader.dll export DOORSTOP_CORLIB_OVERRIDE_PATH=./unstripped_corlib export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./doorstop_libs:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" export LD_PRELOAD="libdoorstop_x64.so:$LD_PRELOAD" #### export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./linux64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" export SteamAppId=892970 echo "Starting server PRESS CTRL-C to exit" # Tip: Make a local copy of this script to avoid it being overwritten by steam. # NOTE: Minimum password length is 5 characters & Password cant be in the server name. # NOTE: You need to make sure the ports 2456-2458 is being forwarded to your server through your local router & firewall. exec ./valheim_server.x86_64 -name "My server" -port 2486 -world "Dedicated" -password "secret"
Change the file permission to 755
For the Valheim server to read the start_server_bepinex.sh file you have to change the file permission from 644 to 755 as shown below.
Open a ticket to request start up config change
Open a support ticket so that the start up command can be changed.
Reboot your Valheim Dedicated server
Checking BepInEx version and load status
If BepInEx was loaded successfully into the game, you should see BepInEx version info in top left corner of the main menu:
Congratulations you have now installed BepInex on a Valheim game server now you can enjoy modding your game.
Installing Mods to Valheim using uMod for Valheim.
Steps to installing Valheim Mods on a Valheim Dedicated Server
1. Place an order for a Valheim moded uMod server
2. Navigate to the game panel on the startup menu
3. Here you’ll see the install Plugins section
To Install uMod plugins enter their names separated by spaces, such as Autosave Sleepless Position MaxPlayers and much more.
Installing Mods to Valheim using Valheim Plus Server.
Valheim Plus features on server
- Remove password requirement for the server.
- Modify the maximum amount of players on a server.
- Modify number of seconds it takes for items to despawn after being dropped on the ground. (default is 3600 seconds).
- Note: Items on ground will retain base game functionality which ensures that drops don’t disappear if a player is nearby or there is a “player base” nearby
- Automatically sync V+ configuration of players joining a server to match the server’s configuration.
Valheim Plus Server Installation
When Placing an order simply select Valheim Plus mod.
If you already bought a server please open a ticket and we’ll installed a Valheim Plus modded server for you
Valheim Plus Server Config
To open the configuration file you have to open the “Configs” page in the game server interface, where you can see the “ValheimPlus: valheim_plus.cfg“. This can be opened via the blue icon which is located next to the configuration file.
A list of all commands that can be used in the configuration file can be found here